Balanced Force and Unbalanced force
When equal amounts of forces are applied to an object from different directions such that they cancel out each other, such forces are known as balanced forces.
- Balanced forces do not change the state of rest or motion of an object.
- Balanced forces may change the shape and size of an object.
When forces applied to an object are of different magnitude (or not in opposite directions to cancel out each other), such forces are unbalanced forces.
- Unbalanced forces can alter the state of rest or motion of an object.
- Unbalanced forces can cause acceleration in an object.
- Unbalanced forces can change the shape and size of an object.