Paragraph completion is a type of question that tests your ability to understand the main idea of a paragraph and to complete it logically and coherently. The question will typically provide you with a paragraph with one or more sentences missing. You are then asked to choose the best answer to complete the paragraph.
To answer paragraph completion questions effectively, you should follow these steps:
- Read the paragraph carefully to understand the main idea. What is the paragraph about? What is the author trying to say?
- Identify the missing sentence(s). What information is missing from the paragraph?
- Choose the best answer to complete the paragraph. The answer should be consistent with the main idea of the paragraph and should make sense grammatically and logically.
Here is an example of a paragraph completion question:
The Internet has revolutionized the way we communicate and learn. It has given us access to a vast amount of information and has made it possible to connect with people all over the world. However, the Internet also has its drawbacks. For example, it can be addictive and can lead to social isolation.
Overall, the Internet is a powerful tool that can be used for good or for bad. It is important to be aware of the potential risks and to use the Internet responsibly.
(A) It is important to be aware of the potential risks and to use the Internet responsibly. (B) The Internet has made it possible for us to learn new things and to connect with people all over the world. (C) The Internet has also led to an increase in social isolation. (D) The Internet is a powerful tool that can be used for good or for bad. (E) Overall, the Internet is a positive force in the world.
The correct answer is (A). This answer completes the paragraph logically and coherently. It also makes sense grammatically.
Tips for answering paragraph completion questions:
- Read the paragraph carefully and make sure you understand the main idea.
- Identify the missing sentence(s) and what information is missing.
- Choose the answer that is most consistent with the main idea of the paragraph and that makes the most sense grammatically and logically.
- Eliminate any answers that are factually incorrect or that do not make sense in the context of the paragraph.
- Proofread your answer carefully before submitting it.
With practice, you will be able to answer paragraph completion questions effectively and improve your writing skills.